In November 1962 the Govt. of India approved the scheme to provide educational facilities to the children of transferable central government employees including Defence personnel. Consequently, Central school organisation was started as a unit of the Ministry of Education, now Ministry of Human Resource Development of Govt. of India.
In 1965, an autonomous body, namely, Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan was registered as society under societies registration Act. XXI of 1860, which took over the task of opening and managing the Kendriya Vidyalayas. The sangathan is wholly financed by Govt. of India.